Chicken and Vegetable Soup
1 Whole free-range chicken
2 celery sticks with leaves
2 carrots, peeled
1 brown onion cut into quarters
3-4 bay leaves
2-3 coriander stems and some leaves
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
2 litres of cold water
2 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- Cut chicken into 4 parts using kitchen scissors. Place in a large pot and cover with 2 litres of cold water and set the heat to high.
- Once the water has started to boil, add the bay leaves, garlic, onion, peppercorns, 1 celery stalk with leaves, 1 carrot and coriander.
- Bring it to boil then lower the heat down and simmer for 1.5-2 hours.
- While the stock is cooking, prepare the other vegetables. Peel and cube the potato dice or slice the carrot and the celery.
- Remove the chicken into a bowl and let it cool. Strain the rest of the liquid into a separate pot and discard the cooked veggies.
- Add salt, potato, celery and carrot to the strained stock till it boils, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Remove the chicken skin and separate the meat. Return the meat to the soup at the end.