Top 100 Uses for Coconut Oil by Going Coconuts App Creator, Brynley King
If you type coconut oil into Google you will be presented with over 34, 800, 000 hits ranging from benefits, uses and various other pages full of information about beautiful coconut oil. The most alarming thing to me is when I find blog posts with hundreds of uses filled with unsubstantiated health claims such as “Anti-retroviral (kills HIV and HLTV-1) or Mole Remover” (Yes on the world wide web, these exist!). Although I am not a medical professional, I do use coconut oil for almost everything, so here is how my top 100 uses was born.
You guessed it, 100 USES for your beloved coconut oil to suit beauty, pets, cooking and household cleaning. Enjoy!
1. Cleaning make up brushes, it is perfect for removing excess makeup and keeping your brushes smooth and clean. Place brushes in 2 tbsp. of coconut oil until tips are wet. Then wash thoroughly under warm water and allow overnight to dry.
2. Make up remover, coconut oil is the best make up remover I have ever used especially on waterproof mascara. Simply use a cotton wipe and some coconut oil to remove makeup.
3. Brow growth stimulator, wanting to help your brows grow a little faster? Simply glide a little coconut oil over your brows with a brow brush. For best results do this just before bedtime.
4. Eyelash growth stimulator, my number one tip of all time! Coconut oil is perfect for helping your lashes grow. I remove my make up every night with coconut oil and allow a little to rest on my eyelashes to help stimulate growth.
5. Honey lip scrub, is a perfect way to make your own beautiful lip scrub at home to remove any dead skin. Simply mix into a paste 1 tsp. of natural honey, 1 tsp. aluminium – free baking powder and 1 tsp. coconut oil. Apply to lips and leave for a few minutes before gently scrubbing lips to remove dead skin. Wash lips with warm water and pat dry.
6. Night cream, mix 10 drops of lavender essential oil with 250ml’s or 8.4 oz. of coconut oil in a jar. Gently rub into your skin before bed for a soothing effect to help you relax before you go to sleep.
7. Face exfoliator, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with 3 tbsp. of coarse sea salt and 3 tbsp. fine sea salt. The sea salt will help draw out impurities and exfoliate while the coconut oil will replenish and nourish the skin.
10 body scrub recipes
8. Tea, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup tea of any kind. This body scrub will help stimulate and leave your skin feeling fresh and silky.
9. Orange, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of raw sugar. Add rind from 1 orange. This body scrub will help exfoliate skin and leave you feeling fresh and invigorated.
10. Lime, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of raw sugar. Add rind from 1 lime. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling fresh and energised.
11. Lemon, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of raw sugar. Add rind from 1 lemon. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling smooth and soft. Also makes a great fake tan remover!
12. Cacao, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of cacao powder. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling clean and silky.
13. Pink Himalayan Rock Salt, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of pink Himalayan rock salt. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling smooth and silky.
14. Cinnamon, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of ground cinnamon. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling fresh and rejuvenated.
15. Peppermint, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup of Himalayan rock salt. Add 10 drops of peppermint essential oil. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling cool and fresh.
16. Coffee body scrub, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup coffee granules. For best results use left over coffee grounds from a café machine. This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling fresh and energised.
17. Sugar body scrub, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with ¼ cup raw sugar (or any left over sugar in your pantry). This body scrub will help stimulate skin and leave you feeling soft and silky.
18. Personal lubricant, this may sound a little creepy haha but coconut oil makes the best natural personal lubricant.
19. Cuticle and nail moisturiser, coconut oil is a great aid to help replenish nail beds and help cuticles stay nice and moisturised.
20. Bath soak, combine coconut oil and a few drops of your favourite essential together in the bathtub. A lavender blend will help you relax after a long week of work and leaves your skin feeling soft and rejuvenated.
21. Body oil, mixing 100 ml’s or 3.3 oz. of coconut oil with your favourite essential oil will help protect your skin during winter when your skin is more prone to drying out. The 100ml size is also perfect for international travel.
22. Foot soak, mix 3 tbsp. coconut oil and some essential oil together in a foot bath, place your feet in and leave to soak for 15 minutes. It will help your feet rejuvenate, especially after a big weekend in heels.
23. Foot moisturiser, before going to bed lather feet with coconut oil and put on some old bed socks. Leave overnight to nourish the skin and when you wake up in the morning they will be feeling soft and smooth.
24. Face mask, combine half an avocado with 3 tbsp. of coconut oil and 1 tbsp. of honey. Apply to the face and neck area and leave for 15 minutes while you relax. Once finished, wash with warm water and pat dry.
25. Shaving cream for women, coconut oil makes the best natural shaving cream. Simply apply to legs or underarms when in the shower and shave as usual. It will also leave your skin feeling rejuvenated and nourished.
26. Shaving cream for men, coconut oil makes an incredible facial shaving cream for men, simply apply to face and shave as usual. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
27. Stretch mark preventer, simply massage affected areas before bedtime or for areas prone to stretch marks simply massage coconut oil on tummy, legs, breasts and bum before bedtime.
28. Fake tan removers, after using self-tanning products, the skin can become quite coarse and dry. For best results massage on the skin whilst showering and remove with an exfoliating glove rotating in a circular motion.
29. Pre tanning barrier cream, before tanning simply place coconut oil to ankles, knees and elbows to eliminate tan from sticking to your dry skin in these areas.
30. Eyebrow tamer, perfect wild and bushy brows with a dab of coconut oil on your brow brush.
31. After shave care, to help reduce redness and ingrown hairs apply coconut oil to skin after shaving or waxing.
32. D.I.Y Body Butter, using hard, solidified coconut oil only, add ¼ cup coconut oil to a food processor and mix. Coconut oil will become that of a body butter consistency. Try adding essential oils for a little flavour!
33. Chest Rub, mix ¼ cup of coconut oil with 10 drops of eucalyptus oil.
34. Skin moisturiser, apply coconut oil directly to the skin for subtle smooth skin.
35. Hand cream/hand lotion, apply coconut oil directly to fingers and hands to keep them nice and soft.
36. Pure coconut oil bars, add liquid coconut oil to a 12 muffin tin tray and place in the fridge to harden. When showering, pop out a bar to use on your skin!
37. Lime body butter, using hard, solidified coconut oil only, add ¼ cup coconut oil to a food processor with 5 drops lime essential oil and mix. Coconut oil will become that of a body butter consistency.
38. Massage oil, apply coconut oil to the skin when having a massage!
39. Lip balm, add a little bit of coconut oil to your lips to soothe chapped lips.
40. Tinted lip balm with old lipstick, add a dab of coconut oil to your old lipstick for a tinted lip balm look.
41. Soothe sunburn, add coconut oil to your skin if affected by sunburn.
42. Remove earwax, add a little coconut oil to a cotton bud when cleaning your ears.
43. Aids eczema and dry skin, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
44. Aids chaffing, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
45. Oil pulling, oil swishing has been around for centuries as a part of the Ayurvedic system, this traditional medicine is native to the Indian subcontinent and a form of natural medicine. As an age-old method of oral cleansing it helps to promote detoxification and good mouth health. Originally oil pulling started with sesame and sunflower oil however, overtime coconut oil has been said to be more effective with this system.
Step-by-Step Guide to Oil Pulling
1. Start with a glass of water to promote the saliva production in your mouth.
2. Take 2-3 teaspoons of liquid coconut oil into your mouth. If the oil is solid pop the bottle in the bathroom sink under hot water to allow it to melt.
3. Keeping your lips closed, swish the oil around in your mouth and pull through your teeth allowing the oil to go over every surface inside our mouth.
4. Do not gargle the oil or swallow it. The oil is full of the toxins you are trying to remove from your mouth.
5. Keep the oil and saliva working constantly in your mouth for fifteen to twenty minutes. I find it best to oil pull when you are in the shower so if any liquid escapes your mouth its ok.
6. The solution should be milky white when it comes out. Remember to try and discard it in your bin and not the drain as it may end up clogging your pipes over time.
7. Rinse out your mouth and follow up with a glass of water. I always add a slice of fresh lemon to my water for a refreshing taste.
46. Homemade toothpaste, a natural alternative to your regular supermarket brands that can be made at home. Add 3tbsp. coconut oil, 3 tbsp. aluminum free baking powder and 10 drops of natural peppermint oil. Mix all ingredients together and keep in an airtight glass jar or container.
47. Mouth wash, mix 1 cup of coconut oil with 15 drops of peppermint essential oil. When oil pulling use this oil instead to give a minty freshness to your breath.
48. Soothe ulcers, apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night. It can also be applied before eating to aid with discomfort.
49. Dandruff treatment, apply coconut oil to the scalp every night. Wash hair in the morning, ensuring two shampoos are done to remove excess oil.
50. Lice treatment, apply coconut oil to the affected hair. Using a knit comb, comb away lice.
51. Hot oil treatment
This recipe will help stimulate blood to the scalp for a healthier scalp and hair growth. It will strengthen hair, prevent brittle hair and split ends.
1. Depending on the amount of hair you have, use around 100ml or 3.3 oz. to thoroughly coat all of the hair.
2. Warm your coconut oil in a bowl of hot water.
3. Part your hair into four to six sections. I generally part into four sections, as my hair is quite thin.
4. Apply the oil to the scalp and then gently massage to evenly distribute.
5. With the left over oil soak the remaining hair right down to the tips.
6. Cover the hair with a hair cap and leave on for a minimum thirty minutes.
7. Once you are finished thoroughly wash the hair and ensure you do two shampoos to remove the excess oil.
52. Lavender hair mask, add lavender essential oil to your coconut oil hot oil treatment for fresh lavender smell.
53. Add shine to dull ends, add a dab of coconut oil to the ends of your hair for a nourishing shine.
54. Hair dye and stain prevention, add coconut oil around the edge of your scalp before dying hair to stop staining the skin from hair dye.
55. Beach wavy hair, mix 1/2 cup of coconut oil with warm water, 2 tbsp. sea salt and 5 drops of your favourite essential oil and apply to damp hair for a beachy wave look.
Household & Cleaning
56. Kitchen splash back cleaner, add a dab of coconut oil to a clean cloth to remove any unwanted grime from your splash back.
57. Label remover, to remove labels, simply peel them off as best as you can then lather excess label in coconut oil and scrub off.
58. Timber furniture polish, add a dab of coconut oil to a clean cloth when polishing your timber furniture.
59. Chewing gum remover, add coconut oil to the affected area and pull away with gloves.
60. Polish shoes, add a dab of coconut oil to a clean cloth when polishing your shoes.
61. Fix squeaky hinges, simply apply a dab of coconut oil to squeaky hinges.
62. Moisturise leather, add a dab of coconut oil to a clean cloth when moisturising leather.
63. Shower cleaner, apply a dab of coconut oil to stubborn grime in your shower to effectively remove it.
64. Car polish, use coconut oil to detail the inside of your car, boat or caravan. Just use a fluffy cloth and polish!
65. Rust remover, to remove rust from forks or knives soak the utensils in coconut oil for an hour or two, the rust will just scrub off!
66. Add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil to your dogs water bowl, to help aid with their daily intake of coconut oil.
67. Skin treatment, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
68. Paw pad moisturiser, apply coconut oil to worn pads to help aid with dry or cracked paws and replenish moisture.
69. Add 1 tsp. of coconut oil to their food, to help aid with their daily intake of coconut oil.
70. Dog jowl cleaner, add coconut oil to a cotton tip and clean between the jowls. This works particularly great on squishy face dogs such as French bulldogs and pugs.
71. Add coconut oil to your pets brush, by adding coconut oil to your pets brush it will promote a healthy and shiny coat every week when you brush them.
72. Hoof moisturiser, add coconut oil to your horses hooves to soothe cracked hooves.
73. Horse coat, tail and mane conditioner, apply coconut oil to your horses coat, tail and mane to keep it nice and moisturised.
74. Aids fleabites, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
75. Butter substitute, a great 1:1 ratio when substituting butter and a great dairy free alternative.
76. Infused coconut oils, simply add fresh herbs to coconut oil and infuse them for up to one month.
77. Gourmet cooking cubes,
Perfect to jump-start any recipe and so handy to have pre-made in the fridge, using your old ice cube trays you can create any block for any dish. Just grab a handful of your favourite herbs; 120ml or 4 oz. of coconut oil and your old ice cube tray and you are ready to start!
1. Cut your herbs into smaller portions and grate some garlic.
2. Place herbs in ice cube trays and add coconut oil.
3. Once this is done place in freezer to solidify. This should only take 10 minutes to harden.
4. Pop out of ice cube tray and place in BPA free clip lock bags and place back in the freezer.
Tip - These will last months in the freezer and when you are ready to use simply pop the cube into a heated fry pan or skillet.
78. Added to your coffee, add a tsp. or tbsp. to your morning coffee for an energy boost and to help aid with your intake of coconut oil each day.
79. Added to your smoothie, add a tsp. or tbsp. to your morning smoothie for an energy boost and to help aid with your intake of coconut oil each day.
80. Added to your bliss balls, for an added energy boost and to help bind your ingredients together.
81. Use for baking vegetables, add coconut oil to your vegetables when baking instead of other vegetable oils.
82. Fry eggs, use coconut oil to fry your eggs in the morning.
83. Replace butter or oils in baking, coconut oil is a great 1:1 ratio when substituting butter or oil in a baking recipe.
84. Homemade muesli, add coconut oil to your oat mixture when making homemade granola.
85. Add a dash of coconut oil to your salad dressings, add a ratio of ¼ cup of coconut oil to 1 cup balsamic vinegar for a coconut infused salad dressing.
86. Pop popcorn with coconut oil, instead of using regular vegetable oils, swap to coconut oil when making popcorn!
87. Fry with coconut oil, as a better option than frying with vegetable oils.
88. Make raw chocolate with coconut oil, mix together 1 cup cacao powder with 1 cup of coconut oil and ½ cup rice malt syrup. Place mixture on a baking paper lined tray and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
89. Eat it by the spoonful, every morning have 1 tbsp. of coconut oil for a morning energy boost.
90. Lemon detox water, mix 1 tbsp. of coconut oil with warm water and ½ lemon (juiced) every morning.
91. Add coconut oil to your morning cereal or granola, add 1 tbsp. to your morning breakfast bowl.
92. Add to nut butters, mix with nut butters for an extra good fat energy booster.
Pregnancy & Babies
93. Diaper rash, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
94. Massage skin, in Banaban culture infants are massaged everyday with coconut oil to keep their skin soft and smooth.
95. Stretch mark prevention, simply apply coconut oil to the stomach area morning and night.
96. Cradle cap, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
97. Nipple cream during breast-feeding, simply apply coconut oil to the affected area morning and night.
98. Baby moisturiser, is a more natural option to using baby oil on infants skin.
99. Massage cracked feet, massage cracked feet with coconut oil to aid sore feet during pregnancy.
100. Teething oil, add a little coconut oil to teething babies to aid with sore gums.
Enjoy! bryn xx
For more recipes and blogs check out Bryn's Going Coconuts Recipe App on the iTunes App Store!