Homemade Coconut Yogurt
I have tried for so many years to perfect a coconut yogurt recipe! I have tried using different brands of coconut cream, coconut milk, probiotic capsules and powders and I have always had epic fails. I've seriously had epic fails of big concoctions of tangy, runny, off coconut, liquidy mess.
The main thing that really has been a fail to me was using Banaban Organic Coconut Milk or Cream without anything to thicken it as our brand has no guar gums, fillers, or thickens. It is all natural so its water content is much more intense.
My recommendation would be if you aren't dairy intolerant to use a regular yoghurt as your starting culture (it's a very cheap option) and to me, it's a simple "cheats" option. You can also use a smaller jar of already made coconut yogurt to start of your culture or you can buy probiotic capsules. Keep in mind probiotic capsules are more expensive between $20 - $40AUD & I have still had fails with probiotic powder. Just my personal experience!
Serves 8 x 50ml portions
Approx. $4.00AUD per batch or $0.50 per serve
GLUTEN FREE | DAIRY FREE | VEGAN
Saucepan + (good quality glass jar like a mason jar that can withstand boiling water and 100 degrees oven temperature) & oven
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
1 tbsp. tapioca starch
2 tbsp. store bought coconut yogurt or 2 probiotic capsules (powder only)
2 tbsp. coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey
*Coconut sugar will also change the colour slightly of the yogurt to an off white colour.
1. Gather all of your ingredients and equipment and preheat the oven to 100 degrees Celsius.
2. Firstly you will need to sterilise your glass jar to ensure there is no bad bacteria that grows and contaminates your yoghurt. Boil your kettle and place your glass jar in the sink. Add in boiling water and allow to stand for 1 minute.
3. Tip the water out of the glass and place upside down (so water can drain) in the oven on a baking rack. Be very careful handling the jar as it will be very hot. Using an oven mitt is necessary for this step!
4. Allow the jar to sit in the oven for five minutes or until all of the water droplets are completely gone. Once finished turn the oven off.
5. To start the yoghurt, place a saucepan on the stove on a low – medium heat.
6. In a separate bowl, add coconut milk, tapioca starch and coconut sugar together and whisk until thoroughly combined.
7. Allow simmering for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly to avoid burning on the bottom of the saucepan.
8. You will notice when the mixture is ready as the tapioca starch will thicken the mixture considerably.
9. Once the mixture is ready, allow standing for 20-30 minutes until much cooler.
10. Once cooled whisk in yoghurt or probiotic capsules and place into a glass jar.
11. Place in the oven to retain its heat for 24 hours with the light on. If you live in Australia and are making this in summer, leaving the jar on the kitchen bench should be fine overnight as the heat will help the bacteria grow.
12. After 24 hours add the coconut yogurt to the fridge and it will slowly thicken over time.
13. If at anytime your glass jar or yogurt has discolouration throw out the mixture and start again. It means there is bad bacteria growing in your jar and the jar hasn't been sterilised enough.
Recipe by: Brynley King
A blogger of all things coconut from - www.goingcoconuts.com.au and Banaban Virgin Coconut Oil’s Creative Director - Bryn is Australia’s Certified Organic under 30 winner, Going Coconuts Recipe App Creator, International Published Author of Going Coconuts (Australia) & Superfood Kokos (Europe). // You can also check out Bryn’s latest and best selling Going Coconuts Baking Mixes including healthy sticky date + cinnamon donuts in all good health food stores across Australia & New Zealand <3